This is the start of a series of blog posts where I try to build an online personal budgeting system.
The motivation for this was me trying to do a household budget using existing tools (Pocketbook, CashDesk, QuickBooks, Xero).
Each time I needed to classify a large number of transactions manually (except Pocketbook they have got a pretty good classification engine)
As I do lots of transfer between accounts the summaries never made sense. So I thought Id give it a go to build my own personal finance budgeter.
- Discover the Who, What When, Where, Why and How a money transaction occurred purely from the metadata
- Website that allows users to connect/upload their bank accounts
- Connect to a users bank account using bankstatements.com.au / basiq.io (hoping to switch to Open Banking OAuth when available)
- Classify bank statements into categories & sub categories
- Summarise personal finances and display to a consumable way
- Predict spend over time & necessary budgeting
- Find savings / tax deductions (mortgage, insurance etc)
The code for this solution is hosted on GitHub
Posts in this series